April 19, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., 603 Barron Innovation Hub
123 South Burrowes Street, State College, PA
The AIMI Workshop brings together Penn State researchers, industry representatives, and investors to share ideas on bringing innovations in artificial intelligence and machine learning to the marketplace.
Get inspired, find answers to your questions, and make invaluable connections.
8:00-8:45 Introduction and Welcome
Dr. Gloria (Geanie) Umberger, Associate Vice President for Research, Director, Office of Industrial Partnerships, “This Is Research At Penn State”
Dr. Soundar Kumara, Director of AIMI, and Allen, E., and Allen, M., Pearce Professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Penn State “Welcome and Introduction to AIMI”
Tanna Pugh, Director of PennTAP, “PennTAP: Goals & Mission”
8:45-11:00 SME-driven Supply Chains for Manufacturing in PA and Future Opportunities
Presentations on solving supply chain issues in manufacturing with AI.
- Dr. Paul W. Witherell Mechanical Engineer in the Process Engineering (LCE) Group of the Systems Integration Division (SID) of the Engineering Laboratory (EL) at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). “Exploiting the Digital Economy for Product Realization in Manufacturing”.
- Breno Gomes Director, North America Financial Planning and Analysis, CNH Industrial. “AI/ML that drives equipment and technology for Agriculture and Construction”.
- Dr. Madhavan Swaminathan Department Head of Electrical Engineering and is the William E. Leonhard Endowed Chair at Penn State University. “Transforming Happy Valley into Happy Silicon Valley: A Vision for Rethinking & Reimagining Heterogeneous Integration”.
- Panel Discussion. Moderator: Dr. Saurabh Basu, Assistant Professor, Penn State University, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
11:00-12:30 Translational AI Applications in Healthcare
- Dr. Todd Price ICDS Corporate Relations Director for Research. “Translational research in the Medical Industry”.
- Dr. Will Lai Director, Epigenomic Core Facility, Cornell University. “Adversarial AI attacks for understanding genomic neural networks”.
- Md Faisal Kabir, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, School of Science, Engineering, and Technology. “Building Predictive Models in Healthcare using Machine Learning”.
- Panel Discussion. Moderator: Dr. Soundar Kumara Director of AIMI, and Allen, E., and Allen, M., Pearce Professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Penn State University
12:30-1:30 Lunch (provided)
Welcoming remarks from Dr. Jenni Evans (Professor of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, Director of Institute for Computational and Data Sciences).
1:30-3:00 Industry Engagement and Opportunities
Presentations for this session will focus on industry applications of AI, funding, and related topics. Moderator: Gretta Kellogg Assistant Director of AIMI
- 1st Industry talk – Jennifer Glore, Vice President of Customer Engineering, SambaNova Systems “Generative AI Models for Enterprise & Government Organizations”
- 2nd Industry talk – Avnish Katoch, Penn State Clinical & Translational Science Institute (CTSI), “CTSI Informatics Core, healthcare data and informatics related opportunities”
- 3rd Industry talk – Todd Erdley, Central Regional Director, Ben Franklin “Technology Partners of Pennsylvania”
- 4th Industry talk – Jay Jayamohan, Harrisburg Center for Innovation, Executive Director of New Ventures & Instructor of Entrepreneurship, “Professional pathways & journeys to Innovation”
3:00-4:30 Faculty Lightning Talks
A series of fast-paced presentations with moderator feedback from Jay Jayamohan, Harrisburg Center for Innovation.
- Sherri McCleary, Executive Director, Digital Foundry “Penn State Digital Foundry at New Kensington”
- Ankur Verma, Diefenderfer Graduate Fellowship in Entrepreneurship, LIGHTSCLINE
- Dr. Jeremy Blum, D.Sc.Program Chair, Mathematics & Computer Science “Use of Generative AI to Provide Scaffolding for Competitive Programming Contests”
- Dr. Nonna Sorokina, Assistant Professor of Finance, Penn State Scranton “Textual Analysis of the Economic News for Interest Rate Move Forecasting”
4:30-5:00 Closing Remarks
Our workshop will conclude with a summary of the day’s event and an open conversation about next steps.